Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fall Homemade Oreos


Oh yum is all I have to say! I have been craving these for a long time now and with the feeling of fall in the air, I figured no better time. I changed it up a little by making my center orange and shaking some sprinkles on every other one to add more interest.  I found the recipe on cooks.com but have changed it here and there over time to my liking.


They also make a great "Thank You" to a friend (Paige) who brought over her food coloring because I missed placed mine.



Fall Homemade Oreos

Makes one dozen medium sandwich cookies or two dozen half dollar size.

For the chocolate wafers:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg


For the filling:

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room-temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Orange food coloring



Set two racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 375°F.

In a large bowl  mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, and sugar with an electric mixer. On low speed, add the butter, and then the egg. Continue mixing till all ingredients are combined well.


For larger cookie use a tablespoon size of dough, roll into a ball with hands and then flatten and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 6  minutes, rotating once for even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.

To make the cream filling, combined butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar, vanilla and food coloring if so desired. 
After cookies have cooled, fill with frosting by using a piping bag and star shape tip. Start from the center and work your way out. Add a top and your done. I added some sparkles to some to add an extra touch.

7 comments:

Janiece said...

I might have to try these!

Anonymous said...

Very cute teacher gifts I'm thinking....come link up at terelauritsen.blogspot.com

Terrell said...

These look oh so delightful!! I'm happy to be your newest follower and would love to have you as a friend at FrouFrou Decor! I would also like to invite you to show off your sweet creations at my Fabulous Friday Finds party! Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ FrouFrou Decor~

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

OMG! They look sooooo good!

S
xo

Cassie said...

Yum indeed!!!
These look amazing!!!
=)

Lorie said...

I LOVE them!!!! Now I need some Oreos!

THanks for linking them up to Show and Tell Saturday!

Kyla Armstrong said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing!