Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Birthday Dresses for the Sophia's



We have a Birthday party this Friday for my Sophia's friends Sophia and Sophia. Yes, you read that correct they all three are named Sophia.

I knew right away I wanted to make the girls dresses as the gift. What little girl does not love a new dress? Besides a while back I had bought a few new patterns and bookmarked some tutorials on the web, so this would be the perfect opportunity to try them out.

I scored at Joann's on the fabric. I spotted the lavender floral in the clearance section which also happened to be an extra 50% off!!!!!  It is "Ribbon Dance" Stonehill Collection by Donna Wilder. The green is called "Topsy Turvy" from the same collection.
 

The first dress I used New Look 6960 Size 3. Pretty easy pattern for the most part except the collar. I feel the directions were not very clear and I had to wing it during this step. The pattern called for a zipper which I was excited as it was my first one! I must say I love the way it turned out and my Sophia keeps asking for one of her own.


The second dress is a Pillowcase dress. I was inspired by this dress that Anneliese created for her daughters. It is one of the most simple dresses to make and I learned how to sew a french seam. I absolutely love the big bow!

I hope you girls love your dresses!

make it wear it

giveaways
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

so cute but what will your Sophia where???

Mrs. Sassy Crafter (Fabi) said...

I really like them! besides any shade of purple is my fav. color, and with the green it just looks lovely!!!!!

http://www.mrssassycrafter.com/

Amber said...

It's a pool party so "my" Sophia will be wearing a swimsuit. Don't worry I will be making her a dress too.

anne maskell said...

The dresses are beautiful, and your choice of fabric is perfect. I love them, and I'm sure the girls will too!

Andrea said...

These are great! Of course I love that they match but are a bit different =) Glad you're in for the sew along!!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Love them!

stevenjared0853 said...

Oh my goodness, these birthday dresses for the little girl are so cute. The colors are pretty nice. I can’t sew but would have my girl’s birthday dressed designed from a friend who sews really well. She is creative. Other arrangements for the party have still to be done. Can anyone suggest affordable party venues in NYC?